Did you know home equity can be used to reduce the overall risk of your retirement plan? Your house is a great asset that for many years has been overlooked in financial planning for seniors. This is making a sharp turn lately as retirement experts are beginning to understand how tapping into home equity via a reverse mortgage should never be underestimated.
Let’s take a look at where most seniors sit currently when it comes to retirement…
• Only 22 percent of workers are very confident they will have enough money in retirement.
• 45 percent of Americans have saved exactly nothing—zero.
• The expected lifespan of women is 20 years past the age of retirement, and two years longer than men.
• The average retiree can expect to spend $220,000 in out of pocket health care costs during retirement.
• Medicare pays for an average of 62% of a seniors health care costs, leaving 38% to come out of pocket.
• 36% of up and coming retirees will rely on Social Security as their sole income.
A reverse mortgage can help in many different ways – and the how the funds are spent is entirely up to the borrower. Whether it’s a monthly payout or a line of credit, when combined with other retirement planning tools, reverse mortgage can allow retirees financial security during the years they worked so hard to enjoy.
Reverse mortgages are available to senior homeowners 62 and over – even married couples. They will live mortgage payment free, always retain the title to the home, and because these loans are FHA insured non-recourse, no one – including heirs – will find themselves saddled with the debt after the owner passes. There are also various solutions for adult children or other family members who may want to keep the home in the family.
Jan Jordan is a Reverse Mortgage Specialist serving the Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Longmont, Boulder and other Front Range areas of Colorado, as well as the Cheyenne and Laramie communities of Wyoming. Contact Jan and learn if reverse mortgage is right for you.